When I was 25 years old, the President of the company I had worked for after graduating from college asked me if I wanted to manage what was then a team of five sales reps in the copier business.  I didn’t have a clue as to what I was embarking upon and where it would lead me over the next 30 years.  I had no idea what the future would hold including what I would be expected to learn on my own and what it would mean to manage and lead others. 
Early on, like many new managers, I stumbled more times than I succeeded; however, thanks to a few patient bosses, informal mentors and many talented team members, I discovered how to thrive then flourish as a leader.  The lessons I learned along the way were less about myself and more about those who worked for the organizations I was fortunate to have led. 
I learned the drastic difference between what people need versus what people want.  Everyone needs to eat, sleep, be loved, make a living, etc.  Those are fundamental needs and extend beyond the workplace into our daily lives.
But learning what people want in their work made it clear how I needed to adapt as a leader.  So much is written about “what a leader should do” and “what a leader wants from their employees”, but discovering what your people seek actually provides a clear path to becoming a successful leader.  As leaders, we are at the bottom of the inverted triangle.  It is our job to build an environment that allows people to prosper.
  • I want and value a personal connection with my boss
  • I want to know what is expected of me and be held accountable (surprise!)
  • I want my ideas to be respected and valued regardless of whether or not they are accepted
  • I want to work hard (yes, I really do!) and be challenged intellectually
  • I want to be trusted to do the right thing
  • I want to be rewarded for my accomplishments, and not the hours I work
  • I want to be appreciated and respected for my contributions (I do not need public recognition or awards)
A leader can impact each of the aforementioned items.  If we make sound hiring decisions and create an environment built around our team’s wants, then the expectations and financial goals of the organization are typically fulfilled. 
The only “golden rule” of leadership I cultivated overtime was to surround myself with the best people I could, be clear about what I expected, and then allow them to do their jobs with the least possible interference.  The rest of my approach as a leader was shaped by how those people around me wanted to be treated.
I have been extremely fortunate to have worked alongside many great team members in my leadership roles, and together we discovered what motivated people to excel and find satisfaction and happiness in their work.

Tom Kemp

SVP, Key Account Manager at Lee Hecht Harrison